The NBD-PWG was established together with the industry, academia and government to create a consensus-based extensible Big Data Interoperability Framework (NBDIF) which is a vendor-neutral, technology- and infrastructure-independent ecosystem. It can enable Big Data stakeholders (e.g. data scientists, researchers, etc.) to utilize the best available analytics tools to process and derive knowledge through the use of standard interfaces between swappable architectural components. The NBDIF is being developed in three stages with the goal to achieve the following with respect to the NIST Big Data Reference Architecture (NBD-RA), which was developed in Stage 1:
Identify the high-level Big Data reference architecture key components, which are technology, infrastructure, and vendor agnostic;
- Define general interfaces between the NBD-RA components with the goals to aggregate low-level interactions into high-level general interfaces and produce set of white papers to demonstrate how NBD-RA can be used;
- Validate the NBD-RA by building Big Data general applications through the general interfaces.
The NBDIF Version 1 final documents are availiable here.
The NBD-PWG is actively working to complete version 2 of the set of NBDIF documents. The goals of version 2 are to enhance the version 1 content and define general interfaces between the NIST Big Data Reference Architecture (NBDRA) components by aggregating low-level interactions into high-level general interfaces, and demonstrate how the NBDRA can be used.
Below are the draft Version 2 documents for your review and comment:
- Volume 1: Big Data Definitions
- Volume 2: Big Data Taxonomies
- Volume 3: Big Data Use Cases and Requirements (M0621 -- Use Case Template #2 in PDF)
- Volume 4: Big Data Security and Privacy
- Volume 5: Big Data Reference Architectures White Paper Survey (done - no further work)
- Volume 6: Big Data Reference Architecture
- Volume 7: Big Data Standards Roadmap
- Volume 8: Big Data Reference Architecture Interface (new)
- Volume 9: Big Data Adoption and Modernization (new)
To submit comments, please register (if you have not done so) and submit your comments. See the Comment Instructions on how to submit comments.
To participate the NBD-PWG, please attend virtual meeting via https://bigdatawg.nist.gov/program.php.
For questions, please send email to BigDataInfo@nist.gov.